- At birth: 1.04 male(s)/female
- Under 15 years: 1.01 male(s)/female
- 15–64 years: 0.9 male(s)/female
- 65 years and over: 0.94 male(s)/female
- Total population: 0.93 male(s)/female (2009 est.)
Urban and rural
The sprawling mega-city of Dhaka has a huge population, but the majority of the people nonetheless still live in villages in rural areas.
- Urban population: 27% of total population (2009 est.)
- Rate of urbanization: 3.5% annual rate of change (2005-2010 est.)
Based on the CIA World Fact Book 2012 figures for population (161,083,804) and land area (130,168 km2), Bangladesh has the highest population density among large countries, 1,237.51 persons per square kilometer, and 12th overall, when small countries and city-states are included.