Although cinema had always been a popular form of entertainment, it was not until 1956 that the first full-length feature film was produced in Bangladesh. At present the industry is capable of producing around 60 feature films per year. The films of Bangladesh display a pattern similar to those of other countries of the subcontinent. The themes range from social and historical to fantasies and fairy-tales. In recent years, there has been a tendency to experiment with the medium; one of the outcomes has been an abundance of popular Short Feature Films.
To encourage quality film making, the Government has introduced national film awards and set up an institute of Film Archive. A Film institute has also been established recently to provide formal training to the students of film making. “Surjo Dighal Bari” and “Dahan” are two internationally acclaimed films.
- History of Bangladesh Cinema
- DeshiMovies – All about Bangladesh Cinema
- Bangladesh Showbiz – Popular site with info and pictures of Bengali film actor, actresses, models and celebrities.
- FDC – Film development corporation of Bangladesh.
- Webbangladesh cinema pages
- Cinema Glamour Girls – Image gallery of popular actresses of Bangladeshi cinema.
- J K Movies
- Uzzal Films Limited